Sports Dentistry Facts
Facts from the National Youth Sports Foundation for Safety
- Dental injuries are the most common type of orofacial injury sustained during participation in sports; the majority of these dental injuries are preventable.
- An athlete is 60 times more likely to sustain damage to the teeth when not wearing a protective mouthguard.
- The cost of a fractured tooth is many times greater than the cost of a dentist diagnosed and designed professionally made mouthguard.
- Every athlete involved in contact sport has about a 10% chance per season of an orofacial injury, or a 33-56% chance during an athletic career.
- The cost of a dental implant replacing a front tooth and the follow-up dental treatment is upwards of $5000.
- Victims of knocked out teeth who do not have a tooth properly preserved or replanted in a timely manner may face lifetime dental costs of $15,000-$20,000/tooth, hours in the dental chair, and the possible development of other dental problems such as periodontal disease.
- It is estimated that faceguards and mouthguards prevent approximately 200,000 injuries each year in high school and college football.
- The stock mouthguard which is bought at sports stores without any individual fitting, provide only a low level of protection if any. If the wearer is rendered unconscious, there is a risk the mouthguard may lodge in the throat potentially causing an airway obstruction.
Facts from the American Dental Association and the California Dental Association
- There is no peer-reviewed independent medical evidence that athletic mouthguards prevent or lessen the degree of cerebral concussion.
- Mouthguards should be worn at all times during competition; in practice as well as in games.
- Contact your local dental society and association for information on dentists and mouthguard programs in your area.
- The American Dental Association recommends wearing custom mouthguards for the following sports: acrobats, basketball, boxing, field Hockey, football, gymnastics, handball, ice hockey, lacrosse, martial arts, racquetball, roller hockey, rugby, shot putting, skateboarding, skiing, skydiving, soccer, squash, surfing, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting, wrestling.